Wednesday, November 19, 2008

I am having trouble jumping in to Christmas this year. Everybody knows that is very strange for me. I think I know why. I really miss my Dad. He loved Christmas, no I mean really loved it. He would get depressed because the day was over. He was a kid at heart and Christmas really brought it out in him. He wrapped every present. Mom didn't wrap any. We would joke because he taped every side of the box and put half a role on each present. A Christmas would never go by without someone opening a gift marked for them and it was really intended for someone else. Frilly night gowns opened by one of the boys was a common ocurrence. And pictures, did he take pictures!! I would be posed with a new hat and mittens and the camera wouldn't work - he had forgotten to turn it on. Unfortunately I'm noticing that I tend to be filling that role in the family now. I guess the best thing to do is to remember, remember him fondly and thank God for the memories.

1 comment:

kerri said...

I've been thinking about Grandpa constantly. He LOVED this time of year. I would get to their house and look for Grandpa. He spent most of the day down in the basement wrapping presents at the pool table. He would complain about it, but I know he loved every minute. These memories are Christmas gifts to all of us this year.