Tuesday, May 12, 2009

I've been thinking back about Mother's Day this year and find it very comforting how things change but they really don't. I remember so many Sunday afternoons on my grandmothers front porch just being family. Her porch was concrete and it was always painted and spotlessly clean. We might make homemade ice cream and my cousins and I would take turns turning the handle in anticipation. My mind then goes to many Sunday afternoons on my mothers front porch, smaller but just as spotless with that outdoor green carpet that looked like short, fake grass. We would all squeeze in and watch the kids play. This past Sunday, I have a beautiful picture in my mind of my front porch. Mom was in the wicker rocker and we took turns swinging in the porch swing my dad made me. We have more places to choose to sit, (Mike and Eric spent a lot of their time on the back deck), but it still has the same feel; family being family. I hope we have many, many more times like this but one thing's for sure - my porch is dirty so I think I'll go hose it down and get it ready for the next family get together.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dirty porches, fingerprints and windows... aren't they wonderful reminders of a great day!?