Saturday, May 31, 2008

A nice relaxing Saturday. I've slowed down and in doing so I have been reminded in so many ways just how long I have lived. Mike and I went down to Creekside in Gahanna today and had lunch. It was really nice. I've been around long enough to remember when "old Gahanna" really looked "old". Lots of changes. I'm going to some graduation parties today - I remember when these kids were born. My daughter even babysat for one of them!! Then I came home and sat on my back porch. From there you can see a beautiful tree. It's tall and full and shady. It's a special tree to me. My dad and his best friend, Ralph went out in the woods and brought that tree back to transplant in my yard. It has grown tall and come out full year after year. It's been there for a long time. Back when my dad was strong and vibrant. He landscaped my entire yard for me. That tree was planted back when Ralph could fix my car blindfolded and go home and bake pies for whoever needed a thoughtful gift. That was before my dad lost track of time and before Ralph had a heart attack as he was leaving to deliver one of those pies to the pastor. I often wish I could go back and re-live a day here and there. I think that is a sign that I have had a beautiful life so far with many wonderful memories.

1 comment:

kerri said...

Nothing would make me happier right now than to go back in time and spend a day with Grandpa. I'd love to just sit with him in his shed while he worked on a project. I can remember the smell of sawdust from his table saw right now. In so many ways, Grandpa is already gone. I'm not so sure that a small part of him didn't leave with Ralph. Soon, a new body...