Sunday, May 01, 2011

"Why did this have to happen?" I hear her ask this questions as I look across the hospital room. My mother, once young and vibrant, always there for me now frail and scared. She called me Thursday morning early and asked in a weak voice if I could come help her. She just couldn't get herself to breakfast. She couldn't get herself out of her chair. To our shock she had experienced a heart attack some time ago and now she was suffering from four blockages. How was she still here? No wonder simply answering the phone had been a struggle. Why did this happen? It's just life, that's the only answer I had for her. I'll never forget hearing her tell her doctor, "you see, I know the Lord and whatever happens is just alright with me." It happens because things happen on a journey. This is just a journey, it's not our destination.

3 comments:

kerri said...

I love her. I love you.

She has had a beautiful journey and I am so blessed to have been a part of it. Praying her last years are peaceful and beautiful as well. I'd say more but the tears are a little overwhelming right now.

Stephen said...

debby, i am so glad you are there for her. she will know when to keep fighting and when to let go. keeping her close to my heart

Stephen said...

jean.... such a dear woman she is. i can hear her say the words you wrote. ALRIGHT WITH ME! that is so jean. i bet she looked that doctor right in the eye, her directness still very intact. love and hugs.......