Tuesday, March 01, 2005

I just returned from visiting my son. As I sat across the window I couldn't help noticing a woman that was obviously in so much pain. I recognized that pain and instantly related to it. Sure enough she was visiting her 19 yr. old son and pouring her heart out trying to get him to see that she loved him enough to tell him some things he maybe didn't want to hear. I saw myself in her. As we left, tears were streaming down her face. I reached over and patted her as we were going down on the elevator. I heard myself ask for her sons name so I could pray and her face lit up. She is a single Mom who lost her younger son, he was bludgeoned to death. She kept saying "I'm all alone but I won't turn my back on him. Her name is Maxine and her son's name is Garland. I promised her I would pray and call her. I hope anyone else reading this will breathe their names in prayer when you think of them. There is so much pain and heartache and I have been so sheltered from this all my life. I don't consider that lucky. We walked in and one of the prisoners didn't have a way home. They are not allowed to walk off the premises, they must have a ride. You've got to understand, everytime I have been there someone is looking for a ride. When we left he was still sitting there. My husband gave him a 20 dollar bill for a taxi and you would have thought he had received a million dollars. I got in a warm car, came home, put on clean pajamas, got a cookie out of the pantry and started my fireplace. I pray that I will continue to learn what it means to be blessed to be a blessing. I don't do a very good job. Don't forget Maxine and Garland, I pray I won't.

No comments: